Meet the Gypsies : Tara & Jessi of Outbound Adventurer @OutboundTreks
Meet the Gypsies : Tara & Jessi of Outbound Adventurer
1. Who are you? Where are you from? Where are you now?
Hi, my name’s Tara Lepore, I’m originally from Boston, Massachusetts. I’ve lived in Houston, Texas for going on three years now. My other half and partner is Jessi Honard, originally from Cleveland, Ohio.
2. What’s your packing strategy? Heavy or light packer? Suitcase or backpacker?
I am a light packer and a backpacker, but I am not the most organized person in the world, so I am constantly looking for better ways to pack and compress my stuff! Recently I’ve tried space saver bags, both plastic and zipper varieties, and those have really helped me keep things organized.
3. How do you afford your travels? Budget traveler or lean more towards luxury?
Definitely a budget traveler, I afford travel when I can on my teacher salary and a shoestring budget. When I do splurge on travel stuff, it’s usually on a tour of some cool historical or scientific site or museum–or, if I feel brave enough, on some kind of adventure tour. I save a little bit of money when I can from each paycheck, and just sock it away, and I try to forget it’s there until it’s time to plan for travel.
4. If you could go anywhere tomorrow, where would you go?
Mongolia. I’ve always wanted to visit the capitol, Ulaanbataar, and visit the Flaming Cliffs in the Gobi Desert.
5. Is there anywhere you won’t travel to and why?
6. What’s the most adventurous thing you’ve eaten?
7. You both work in education and are self-proclaimed travel geeks. How does that incorporate into your travels?
8. Any tips on making the most of working full time and traveling often?
9. Which of the two is the more adventurous one?
10. What’s the #1 item on your bucket list?
11. Most importantly, where to next?
We have a conference for Texas state science educators in Dallas, in November, and a personal trip to the Phoenix area in January. Hopefully we’ll get some camping and hiking in on that trip to Arizona. We’re looking forward to sharing our updates with you!