I’m Ashley – a traveler with a passion for photography, adventure, the outdoors, amazing vegan food and wildlife.
How Did This Happen…
I’ve spent the past decade searching for that perfect job that I felt would just fall into my lap one day. Well, it’s not going to because I wasn’t born to be conventional. Nothing’s ever felt just right and I wasn’t made for the 9-5 life, or any structured life for that matter.
I have been traveling since I was a child – mostly all over the United States and Canada. Over the course of a decade, I’ve lived in Tennessee, South Carolina, Michigan and Washington state. I’ve been all over the United States, Canada, Europe, South Korea and Thailand. I desperately want more though.
So, I’m finally putting the time and resources into the life that I’m passionate about and dream of.
Random Facts About Ashley:
- I have southern roots. I drink a dangerous amount of sweet tea, say y’all way too much, and listen to a lot of country music (I am from Music City, USA!).
- I read a lot. I have boxes and boxes of books that have moved all over the country with me. I always have a book (or, two!) in my bag that goes with me everywhere. I always swore off e-readers until recently when I decided I’d rather have an e-reader while traveling than nothing to read at all.
- I have an unhealthy obsession with Harry Potter and I’m not ashamed of it. I’ve been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando (three times!) and the Warner Bros Studio Tour in Leavesden, UK.
- My top 5 countries I want to visit: Iceland, South Africa, New Zealand, Japan, and Argentina (that’s incredibly hard to narrow down by the way–I don’t like it).
- My favorite countries I’ve been to are Ireland, Italy, Thailand and Norway.
- The sight of mustard makes me want to vomit.
- I want to try ALL the vegan food.
- I’m a perfectionist and a procrastinator–not good–this means it takes me forever to finish something.
- I’m a textbook introvert. I still am outgoing and love meeting people and going out, but if I don’t have my downtime to recover than it’s no good.
- I get insanely angry that I wasn’t given the gift of dance. I watch So You Think You Can Dance and want to cry.
I love animals so much I’m surprised I’m not a vegetarian.I’m now a Vegan – I’m leaving this old ‘fun fact’ to show that a self-proclaimed animal eating animal lover did change after 29 years.
- Don’t talk to me when The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones or Vikings is on.
- I’m claustrophobic.
The reason I chose A Southern Gypsy as my signature is quite simple and probably doesn’t need an explanation. You’re going to get one anyways. I’m from the Southern part of the United States, Nashville, Tennessee to be specific. I value my southern roots just as much as my urge to see the world. The gypsy part, as expected, is for my prone to wander. As much as I try to settle down or do the “responsible” thing and get a stable, boring job, that will never be me. Ever. I love where I come from, but I can’t help but want to see the rest of the world too. One corner of it is not enough for me.
Thanks for visiting!
You can also follow my more everyday Instagram, @vegan_earth_child
Also email us at asoutherngypsy1 (at) gmail (dot) com